Frequently Asked Questions

Emergency Services

1. What Emergency Services are offered by the Village? Expand

All emergency calls are dispatched through the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office by calling 911. The Melrose Fire District and Melrose 1st Responders are dispatched to all fire and health emergencies within the Village. These entities also respond to emergencies occurring in many of the local townships. Melrose’s part-time Police Department will respond to emergencies as well if on duty. If Melrose Police Department officers are not on duty, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office will respond.

Garbage and Recycling

1. What type of garbage service does the Village have? Expand

Village garbage is collected by Village employees on Mondays. Residents must have all items placed on the curbside by 7:00 am to ensure garbage is collected. All garbage must be placed in yellow plastic bags in order for garbage to be collected. Bags may be purchased at the Melrose Express or the Village Hall for $2.00 per bag. For more information, see the garbage collection link on this website’s home page.

2. Does the Village of Melrose recycle garbage? Expand

The Village offers curbside recycling pick-up every other Thursday.  See the website Calendar to determine recycling pickup days.  

All recycling items must be sorted and placed on the curb by 7:00 am to ensure items are collected. 

Fibrous and/or Paper/Cardboard products must be placed in one (non-plastic) bag or container.  All plastic, glass or metal containers must be placed in a separate (non-plastic) bag or container. 


1. If I feel my property taxes are too high, what procedures do I follow to get them lowered? Expand

The first step is to call the Assessor and determine his basis for assessing the property at its current value. If you’re not satisfied with his answer, you may attend the Assessor’s Open Book session which usually occurs in April or May of each calendar year. At this time, you may meet with the Assessor in person and view the Village tax roll. If you still feel your property is unfairly valued, you may file a formal “Objection Form for Real Property Assessment (PA-115A)” and a Notice of Intent to File Objection with the Board of Review (link to forms). These forms must be filed with the Clerk at least 48 hours before the Board of Review’s first scheduled meeting. The Board of Review is generally conducted in May of each calendar year. You may then appear before the Board or Review and present your case. For additional information, see the link to “Property Taxes” on this website’s home page or contact the Clerk.

Village Meetings

1. When are Village Board Meetings held? Expand

Village Board Meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month at the Village Hall, 112 N. Washington Street, beginning at 6:30 pm. In the case of holidays or special event, the meeting date/time may be altered. Check this website, local business bulletin boards, and the Jackson County Chronicle for all modifications to meeting times.

2. How do I raise an issue at Village Board Meetings? Expand

To get on the Board Meeting Agenda, contact the Clerk at least two weeks in advance of the meeting. Additionally, there is always an agenda item entitled “Public Comment” following approval of meeting minutes and bills at the beginning of each Board Meeting. You may raise any issue you wish during this allotted time period.


1. Where do Village residents vote? Expand

Residents of the Village of Melrose vote at the Village Hall, 112 N. Washington Street. To register to vote, you must be able to show proof of residency within the Village for a period of at least 28 days. You may register to vote in advance of an election or on the day of the election. For additional information, see the Elections link on this website’s home page or contact the Village Clerk.

Water and Sewer

1. How do I pay my water/sewer bill? Expand

Water/Sewer bills are sent out on a monthly basis. To pay your bill you have the following options: • By Mail: Send payment to the Village of Melrose Water/Sewer Department, PO Box 117, Melrose, Wi 54642 • In person, see the Clerk/Treasurer’s Hours posted on the Home Page • Drop Box: Place payment in the drop box located on the Northwest Corner of the Village Hall.

2. If I’m moving in or out of a Village residence, how do I change my water/sewer billing status? Expand

Call or visit the Clerk/Treasurer and provide your full name, address, and move-in/move-out dates. Your bill will be pro-rated accordingly.


1. Does the Village of Melrose have a zoning ordinance? Expand

Yes, Chapter 16 Zoning Ordinance has been adopted by the Village Board. Please click on Government, then Ordinances to read this ordinance in it’s entirety.